Saturday, May 8, 2010

Sustainability Visit


Interview with a manager at the Imperial Beach Farmers Market

What is your name and your role at the farmers market?
My name is Juan Martinez and I’m practically the manager here, I could say.
How long have you been working here?
With this company like 2 years.
Do you like working here?
Yes, I love working here.
What is the difference between a farmer’s market and a normal store or market?
Well the fruits and vegetables here are not processed it’s like from the tree to you. It’s the most fresh that you can get.
What is your advice to get people to come to farmers’ markets?
That if you are looking for quality and freshness you should go to farmers’ markets.
Do you think the fruits and vegetables at farmers’ markets are healthier than fruits and vegetables at other markets?
Yes, I think it’s probably much healthier because the fruits and vegetables at a farmers market are more fresh.
What is the goal of this farmers market?
Our goal is to expand our commitment to the residents of Imperial Beach and surrounding communities by offering a weekly Farmers’ market, featuring fresh vegetables, fruits, local arts and crafts, and family entertainment.
Since when has this farmers market been around?
Since 1998.

Response to the visit

What struck you about the location you visited? Was it what you expected, or very different?

I went to the Imperial Beach Certified Farmers Market. It struck me how everything seemed so nice and fresh. I thought it was going to be much smaller but it was kind of big and everyone was so nice and welcoming there. Also, I thought there were only going to be fruits and vegetables
but there were also things like flowers and crafts.

Which items were cheaper than expected? Which were more expensive?

I thought everything was really cheap. I didn't think anything was expensive. I think it is because it's gown locally and doesn't have to be taken somewhere else.

Do you think you will start going to a farmers market more often?

I think I am because some of the fruits and vegetables were less expensive and the fruits and vegetables there are more fresh and that could be healthier.

How do these locations fit into our essential question of “Why Don’t People Live More Sustainably?” and “How Can I Convince them to do So?”

The farmers market relates to sustainable living because the fruits and vegetables there are locally grown or organic and healthy. I think more people should go to farmers' markets because most of the fruits and vegetables are more fresh there and even less expensive. I think if more people knew about them they would probably start going to farmers' markets more often.

3 comments:

  1. I thought it was really cool how you got to interview the manager. I only got to interview and olive seller. I also noticed that at my farmer's market, there was more than fruits and vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked you got a distinct perspective instead of a worker you got a manager.

    when u said, "I thought everything was really cheap. I didn't think anything was expensive. I think it is because it's gown locally and doesn't have to be taken somewhere else." i agree with that because its usually the reason other food is expensive and its natural so its better than traveling food.

    i also like u were thorough and made it look so professional

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the way you got to interview the manager. Something that made me think was when you wrote your own questions because i was thinking i could have done the same.

    ReplyDelete